- Published on
Setup the Cleanest Ubuntu Desktop Environment
I felt in the distro hopping. Many times. One of my concerns about Ubuntu was that you don't really choose what you install on your machine. They provide you with a ready-made environment, and that bothered me because there are so many flaws and applications that I didn't want. Especially since, I want to install i3wm and no other desktop on my machine. So here are some steps to have an Ubuntu 8gb installation with i3wm.
1. Install Ubuntu Server on your machine
2. Update the machine and upgrade it with
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
3. Install your favorite shell. (optional)
sudo apt install zsh
Change the default:
chsh -s /usr/bin/zsh
4. We’ll need a display server so let’s install the one most widely used; Xorg:
sudo apt install xinit
5. Adding a terminal emulator
I pesonally picked rxvt-unicode.
sudo apt install rxvt-unicode.
6. You can change your terminal colors, here is the command for rxvt (optional)
curl https://raw.githubusercontent.com/base16-templates/base16-xresources/master/xresources/base16-material-darker.Xresources >> ~/.Xresources echo "URxvt.font: xft:DejaVuSansMono:size=10" >> ~/.Xresources
7. Install your favorite desktop manager
sudo apt install i3
8. Start X
9. Load your .Xresources
sudo apt install x11-xserver-utils xrdb -load ~/.Xresources
I personally use proxmox. I'm gonna install rdp so I can access to my machine remotely:
sudo apt install xrdp -y sudo adduser xrdp ssl-cert sudo systemctl restart xrdp sudo systemctl enable --now xrdp